The Ascension of Jesus – May 24
Read Together – Luke 24:44-53 (The Message)
44 Then Jesus said, “Everything I told you while I was with you comes to this: All the things written about me in the Law of Moses, in the Prophets, and in the Psalms have to be fulfilled.”
45-49 He went on to open their understanding of the Word of God, showing them how to read their Bibles this way. He said, “You can see now how it is written that the Messiah suffers, rises from the dead on the third day, and then a total life-change through the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed in his name to all nations—starting from here, from Jerusalem! You’re the first to hear and see it. You’re the witnesses. What comes next is very important: I am sending what my Father promised to you, so stay here in the city until he arrives, until you’re equipped with power from on high.”
50-51 He then led them out of the city over to Bethany. Raising his hands he blessed them, and while blessing them, took his leave, being carried up to heaven.
52-53 And they were on their knees, worshiping him. They returned to Jerusalem bursting with joy. They spent all their time in the Temple praising God. Yes.
Watch the Story
- Have you ever lost a balloon, or seen someone let go of one? They’ll stand there watching the balloon go up and up until they can’t see it anymore. Can you imagine the disciples watching Jesus like this?
- How do you imagine Heaven? Do you think Heaven is a place up in the sky? Check out the Bible Project video below about how the Bible actually talks about the relationship between Heaven and Earth
- What did Jesus followers do after he left? Were they sad?
- In one version of this story (from the book of Matthew), Jesus promises his followers that he will be with them always. What does this mean for us?
- After this point, Jesus’ disciples didn’t see him every day. It is the same for us – we do not see Jesus from day to day. But we can trust his promise that he is with us and that he loves us. Because of that, we should also love one another and tell others about Jesus, as we eagerly wait for him to return.
- Download, Print and Colour the Illustrated Ministry picture for today.
- You can listen to the song below as you colour.
- Go outside to a sidewalk, driveway or a parking lot. Using chalk, draw very large balloons on different areas. Write different words inside your balloons from today’s story.
- Paint a picture of the story. Try to add details that show the different feelings in the story. How would you show disciples joy?
- “Cloud” snacks using marshmallows, (e.g., make s’mores or rice crispy treats, or a trail mix using mini marshmallows)
- “Sky” snack use blue jell-o with whipped cream for a cloud on top
Thank you for who you are
Thank you for resurrection joy
Help us to be excited about your story
So we can share the good news with others
Thank you for your love
Thank you for Jesus!
In His name, amen
Resources for this Week